Working on a self-employed basis | Undutchables
Zw Header

Working on a self-employed basis

If you wish to practise a profession or set up a business inSweden, you have to apply for a residence permit as an entrepreneur. To work in Sweden on a self-employed basis you have to meet certain requirements:

  • have a valid passport
  • show that you have significant experience in your field and previous experience of running your own business
  • have documented and relevant knowledge in Swedish and/or English
  • show that you are running the business, that you have the ultimate responsibility for it and that you own at least half of the business
  • show that the business' services or goods are sold and/or produced in Sweden
  • show that you have sufficient funds to support you and, if applicable, your family during the first two years (equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 100,000 for your spouse and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child)
  • show reliable source documentation for your budget
  • show that you have established customer contacts and/or a network in Sweden
  • show that your company, following a 2-year probationary period, will have its finances in balance and you have the ability to support yourself and, if applicable, your family (income support is calculated according to the Swedish national standard for Income support plus housing costs).

The Swedish Migration Agency will assess your business plans from a financial perspective.

For more information: Migrationsverkret

Become a member

Would you like to receive our Undutchables Newsletter? In this newsletter we will give you guidance on working in the Netherlands or in Sweden and working with internationals, let you know about upcoming events and share interesting articles.